Welcome to the Rancho San Jose de Buenos Aires Chapter DAR
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) is a non-profit, non-political volunteer service organization made up of approximately 175,000 members with 3,000 chapters. These chapters are located in all 50 states and in many countries around the world. On October 11, 1890, eighteen women met to officially organize the NSDAR for historic, educational, and patriotic purposes. Since that day, over 800,000 members have been admitted into membership.
The History of Rancho San Jose de Buenos Aires Chapter
Our chapter was organized 4 February 1935 with Mrs. Burton Wands as its organizing regent.
This chapter took its name from the old Spanish Rancho on which Westwood Hills, the University of California at Los Angeles, and Bel Aire now stand. Freely translated, it means "Ranch Saint Joseph of the Good Air."
This land was granted to Maximo Alanis in 1843 by Governor Micheltorena. Don Maximo was one of the soldiers who escorted the first Spanish settlers from Mexico to San Gabriel in 1781 and was instrumental in founding the Pueblo of Los Angeles. He lived to be 100 years old.
Our chapter placed a plaque in Holmby Park in West Los Angeles to mark the site of Rancho San Jose de Buenos Aires. The land title was confirmed in 1843. The plaque reads: